Tuesday, May 01, 2007

a lovely day in May

Just in case you haven't had a chance to glance at a calendar~it is the first of May today~i do love the month of May~it truly begins to feel like like Spring in May (and of course it is my birthday month~though i think i'd love it even if it weren't~i have no way of knowing that though~and of course i'd probably be a different person then~so maybe i wouldn't...oh well...)

May 1 is Beltane, May Day, and was also my favorite grandmother’s birthday. My grandmother was second generation Dutch and was a wonderful cook. I remember sitting in her dutch blue and white kitchen as a little girl helping her cook and listening to her tell me stories of her life, she would tell me about how they used to dance around the maypole when she was a girl.

I keep little blue and white dutch girl and boy figurines (plus a dutch elephant, and some miniature wooden shoes, and a blue and white cat that is actually a Japanese chopstick rest, but it's cute and it has the right colours so, well you know...) on my kitchen shelves in remembrance of my grandmother. I always remember her with joy on this day, Beltane, May Day, the first of May, whatever you want to call it, celebrate it, be happy!

No comments: