Sunday, March 04, 2007

she's baaack...

and it's been such a long, long (cold, dark, and lonely) time. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season Eight, #1 (Dark Horse Comics) will be released March 14, 2007! and you can preview it here.

"Buffy creator Joss Whedon brings Buffy back to Dark Horse in this direct follow-up to Season Seven of the smash-hit TV series. Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt."

I was reading in one of my old journals from February 1998 when i was going through a terrible breakup (or actually my relationship was over but hadn't broken up yet) and it was the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on TV (yes, i actually watched it, when it was on). I watched as she had to come to terms with the soulless vampire that had once been the man she loved as he mentally tortured her and those she cared about. This is what i wrote:
Buffy endures a pain that seems so real to me. What has been inflicted on her is the intensity of the pain that i feel. It gives me the voice to speak of it.
There is so little inside of me, but it all hurts. All it is is pain.
not exactly profundity, but there it is.
What was going on on BtVS always seemed to correspond so exactly to my life, and to express it so much better than i could myself. Joss set out to express High School as hell (which it always has been) and i have always loved a High School Show~perhaps in an effort to relive/redo my own hell. Did Buffy come along at just the right point in my life or is Joss just such a genius at metaphor that he managed to make it universal?
If you want to know why i love Buffy and what the Buffyverse means to me this is just one answer.
"The thing about changing the world...once you do it, the world's all different."

No comments: