Sunday, July 30, 2006

good side, bad side you know i've had my share...

I just finished reading the young adult novel Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. It reminded me of Logan's Run (a great movie if you've never seen it--although it always makes me shudder a little to remember that when my dad took me to see it at age eleven or twelve i thought "oh, thirty wouldn't be such a bad age to die, you would have lived a full life by then...) and also of a couple of old Twilight Zone episodes Eye of the Beholder (this episode was remade with Molly Sims); and Number Twelve Looks Just Like You . Anyway, Uglies is the first in a dystopian trilogy--and believe me--though the story was complete enough in itself it does end in one of those most annoying (not-really-a-cliff-hanger-but-i-really-need-to-read-the-next-book-and-i'm-so-frustrated-waiting-for-my-library-hold-to-come-in-that-i-might-just-have-to-go-buy-the-damn-book) endings. (grrr)

Tally lives in a future world where everyone has an operation at sixteen in order to make them "pretty"--or look more like everyone else--more biologically desirable--so that people no longer have to deal with the misfortune of being ugly, asymmetrical, or less than. She then discovers that there are some who wish not to turn pretty. Can you imagine?

Fast paced, interesting, intriguing, and thought-provoking.

No comments: